|Facts and Procedures||Pre-Application||Background Check Form|
Having a place to call “home” is central to our well-being. But for those with persistent mental illness and extremely low income, finding a safe, decent and affordable place to live can be a formidable task. The housing options for these individuals are extremely limited. What housing exists is often substandard and located in unsafe neighborhoods. In addition to having limited income, this group faces additional challenges that include the stigma of mental illness, landlord resistance to renting to them and limited social skills that often are a result of their psychiatric disability.
1. Have a diagnosis of persistent mental illness
2. Fill out the housing application
3. Be willing and able to receive mental health services
4. Pass the background check
5. Have a regular source of income
1. Some of our applicants wait days, months or years for our housing
2. Once your application is approved you will be entered into our computer and called when an opening becomes available that may fit your needs
3. If your application is denied you will be sent a letter
4. When an opening becomes available and you are being considered we will call you for an interview
5. If the interview is successful we will then set up a tour of the available apartment
6. If the apartment tour is successful we will then set up a time to sign the lease for the apartment
Vera French Housing takes great pride in our apartments. We conduct regular inspections; walk through of the apartments and regular maintenance and upkeep. We want to also ensure that tenants are compliant with their mental health services. Some of our apartments are income based but not all. Participants have a choice of affordable housing, which is linked with flexible support services.
Support Services are a key element to the Program’s success. National Studies have shown the effectiveness of supported housing for persons with disabilities. Those in supported housing experience a marked reduction in shelter use, hospitalizations and the need for more restrictive living arrangements such as residential facility or mental health institutions.
Vera French’s Supported Housing Program shows similar results.
Further evidence of the programs success is found in two facts. Turnover is low- 35% of current tenants have lived in Vera French Housing for 8 or more years.
Please read the fact sheet. If you feel you meet the guidelines for qualifying, we encourage you to submit an application.
Vera French Housing adheres strictly to all requirements of the Fair Housing laws. We do not discriminate against any applicant for any reasons of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or physical or mental disability.
Vera French Housing will continue to advertise and consider all other applications for the subject property until the following has been provided: